Bring your analytical skills to work at one of the world’s most trusted and
respected news sources.
As Data Analyst, you’ll take a data-driven approach to some of the fastest-
growing and most important digital channels for reader engagement and
subscriber acquisition at The Washington Post. Working with stakeholders
across various teams, you will measure the reach and impact of The Post’s
growing portfolio of newsletters and podcasts and develop ways to present data
in easy-to-digest ways. You’ll also devise new ways to look at our social
media reach and influence and mine the social web for key insights to share
with relevant parties. In this role, you will interact with virtually every
department at The Washington Post -- from News and Marketing to Sales and
- You are a self-starter with an ability to simplify and communicate complex ideas
- You enjoy managing multiple, time-sensitive projects at the same time
- You are comfortable both working with team members and on your own depending on the task
- You have an aptitude to utilize a wide range of data sets to deliver impactful
- Work with Newsroom, Engineering, Product and Marketing teams to ensure metrics are appropriately defined, implemented, and tested across our digital assets
- Design, build and maintain key periodic reports, dashboards and analyses utilizing email platforms and third-party services, web analytics tools, R, Tableau and other reporting and visualization tools
- Provide data to answer questions regarding newsletter subscriber behavior and engagement, campaign performance and trends
- Work with product team to ideate and implement new product features for our in-house email platform
- Wrangle and stitch together data from multiple sources to create comprehensive podcast and audio-article reports
- Leverage the social web to collect and analyze the impact of brand ambassadors and branded accounts as well as user-generated content
- Compile compelling audience data to be included in marketing materials and client proposals
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2+ years of work experience with data reporting experience
- A strong quantitative, creative and problem-solving mindset
- Ability to multitask, prioritize projects, and meet deadlines. Execute high-quality work under tight deadlines with strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills. Ability to work successfully in a team environment, as well as independently and exercise sound professional judgement
- Proficiency in relational and non-relational Database Systems, Advanced SQL and Microsoft Excel. Experience with MySQL on cloud.
- Expertise in R, Python data analysis packages to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets
- Expertise in Tableau, R Shiny, D3 or other visualization/ reporting tools
- Expertise in Big Data tools and distributed data/computing tools like Hadoop (or other big-data solutions), Map/Reduce, S3, Hive, Spark etc.
- You can say you enjoy working on multiple projects at one time.
- You are energized by working on complex problems and sharing your results with others.
When you join The Post
- When you join TWP, you are joining a mission to connect, inform, and enlighten those around the globe with the highest caliber, most trustworthy news and information. Our multicultural, multi-generational workforce is constantly creating and innovating, leading the media and technology industries to better solutions. We welcome all perspectives and celebrate diverse backgrounds.
- Whether you contribute to journalism, engineering, finance, or marketing, you are helping define the future of news.
- We continue to shine a light into the darkness and hope you’ll join us.
Wherever you are in your life or career, The Washington Post offers
comprehensive and inclusive benefits for every step of your journey:
Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
Company-paid pension and 401(k) match
Three weeks of vacation and up to three weeks of paid sick leave
Nine paid holidays and two personal days
20 weeks paid parental leave for any new parent
Robust mental health resources
Backup care and caregiver concierge services
Gender affirming services
Free Post digital subscription
Leadership and career development programs
Benefits may vary based on the job, full-time or part-time schedule,
location, and collectively bargained status.
The Post strives to provide its readers with high-quality, trustworthy news
and information while constantly innovating. That mission is best served by a
diverse, multi-generational workforce with varied life experiences and
perspectives. All cultures and backgrounds are welcomed.
The innovation doesn’t end in the Newsroom – dozens of teams power The
Washington Post. We are now hiring the next innovator – how will you