Grammarly team members in this role are required to live within a daily
commutable distance to Berlin. Grammarly may provide relocation assistance.
**The opportunity **
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they
communicate. Every day, 30 million people and 50,000 teams around the world
use our AI-powered powered communication assistance technology. All of this
begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for an Engineering Manager to
join our Machine Learning (ML) Platform Engineering team in our Berlin hub.
This manager will lead and grow the Berlin ML Platform Engineering team to
build and support ML infrastructure and develop novel intelligence features
with researchers and product managers. This team has an opportunity to shape
the way Grammarly engineering delivers ML features across the entire product.
This role will be instrumental in helping build ML-powered functionality at
Grammarly, which is strategic and critical to realizing our vision of
improving lives by improving communication.
To facilitate this mission, the Engineering Manager will coach, mentor, and
support the team through product development and collaboration with product
managers. They will also guide the team to propose and implement the best
practices for scaling ML features at Grammarly across all phases of the
feature lifecycle, from fast iterative experimentation to productization and
support. This Engineering Manager will also provide direction for project
investments, prioritization, and engineering resource allocation, and
coordinate with stakeholders.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover
breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of
our technical challenges is multiplying as we scale our interfaces,
algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our
stack or hear from our team on
our technical blog.
As Engineering Manager, you will lead the Machine Learning Platform
Engineering team and collaborate across multiple offices with research
scientists, computational linguists, and product managers to ship delightful
user experiences across various interfaces. You will influence and
fundamentally change the way Grammarly engineering delivers ML-powered
features at Grammarly.
In this role, you will:
- Guide the team to operating services at an internet scale with high availability and reliability.
- Propose and implement the best engineering and research practices for scaling ML-powered features at Grammarly, with a goal of enabling fast iteration of and efficient experimentation with novel features.
- Help drive engineering-wide initiatives with other engineering leaders.
- Act as an effective manager by being a strong advocate and promoter for the team.
- Contribute to and influence the ML infrastructure roadmap based on feedback from internal customers.
- Build the ML infrastructure and platform to accelerate and make its development accessible and efficient to all researchers and engineers at Grammarly.
- Build and enhance consumer and enterprise intelligence features in Grammatical Error Correction (GEC) and text semantics, such as tone and summarization.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to collaborate in person in Berlin 4 weeks per quarter.
- Has a strong track record of building and managing productive engineering teams.
- Derives satisfaction in helping the team accomplish audacious goals.
- Has hands-on experience as a senior engineer.
- Has experience translating a high-level strategy and roadmap into an execution plan.
- Can effectively set and communicate priorities for themselves and their team.
- Can successfully coordinate, empower, and direct multiple stakeholders, details, and timelines toward a specific goal.
- Thrives managing through the roadmap ambiguity and unique problem-solving associated with new product ideas—by balancing ownership of mission-critical systems and building features around a loosely defined roadmap.
- Stays up-to-date with the quickly evolving field of natural language processing (NLP), tracking industry trends while focusing on building production systems.
- Brings a solid understanding of ML development lifecycle and tools, including some domain experience with ML, deep learning, or NLP.
- Holds a master’s degree in computer science, engineering, or math.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We hire people we trustgive team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
- Comprehensive benefits: Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing superior health care (including mental health benefits). We also offer support to set up a home office, ample and defined time off, gym and recreation stipends, admission discounts, and more.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all to apply.
Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis
of race or ethnic origin, religion or belief, gender, disability, sexual
identity, or age.
For more details about the personal data Grammarly collects during the
recruitment process, for what purposes, and how you can address your rights,
please see the Grammarly Data Privacy Notice for Candidates