As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Market Risk Analyst, Crude
What is the role
The Market Risk Analyst, Crude is a member of the Oil Market Risk team and reports to the Head of Market Risk Oil. The Oil Market Risk Team is responsible for understanding the trading markets and strategies employed by the oil trading business of Shell Trading and Supply.
The purpose of the role is to independently identify, measure, and report on the level of risk from new business proposals, material contracts, and trading market conditions in order to advise the commercial teams on mitigation strategies and risk appetite. The role will provide risk assessments and insights to senior management while collaborating with and providing market specific information and advice to others in the global Finance and Risk Management organization.
The role works closely with risk leads for all parts of the risk management spectrum including a significant Business Operations component, regular discussions with Front Office, Finance, Compliance and Back Office, and a focal point for crude oil risk related queries from across the RDS group**.**
- Develop and apply fair economic value principles across the Crude Oil business, coordinating across the global risk managers to ensure consistent application. This includes providing modelling support and challenge with stakeholders on valuation inputs and parameters.
- Ensure that all exposures generated are fully understood and that these exposures and resultant P&L are properly evaluated, validated and analyzed prior to any income being reported.
- Provide independent advice and guidance on the level of risk/return in the business and whether this is congruent with the agreed level of risk appetite.
- Identify risks, look at model and portfolio assumptions, market inputs, pricing issues, valuation parameters and instrument types.
- Produce ad-hoc analysis to explain P&L or exposure changes to Front Office, assist them with queries and requests for system setup changes.
- Ability to solve real world business problems using quantitative and computational techniques.
- Support digitalization and automation to smooth the flow of information across the business and to remove manual tasks.
- Drive understanding of the design and utilization of methodologies to assess risk/reward of the portfolio, including VaR back-testing, stress testing, scenario analysis, liquidity analysis.
- Understand and explain changes in VaR by breaking down the impact by its underlying drivers and ensuring that the VaR accurately reflects the positions taken and volatility of the relevant market.
- Define and advance analytical mindset and behaviours by providing support for training and learning opportunities to analysts to enhance their understanding of trade book strategies, complex deals, trading and risk mandates, and market fundamentals.
- Capable of being independent and able to objectively analyse and report risks and exposures. Regularly engage in discussion with traders and management about exposure taken and resultant P&L.
- Strong stakeholder engagement skills, having the self-confidence to challenge traders on deals, valuations, positions, limit mandates.
- Excellent communication skills- the role will require writing reports and policies and presenting analysis and insights to senior stakeholders. Due to the global nature of the business the role requires communicating using different methods, in a variety of formats, to people in many countries.
- Team player, good interpersonal skills. Flexible to work with colleagues across numerous time zones with both Market Risk at the Trading Hubs in London, Rotterdam, Houston, Dubai and Singapore, but equally the Business Operations centres in Chennai, Manilla, Bangalore.
- Ability to articulate and communicate complex scenarios and ideas in a clear and concise manner whilst understanding the perspective and experience of others. Ability to challenge sensitive issues constructively whilst maintaining working relationships.
- Working closely with the Credit and other Risk teams to ensure trading risks and returns are fully understood, captured and challenged where necessary. This will also include longer term risks, inherent in contracts such as, but not limited to, storage, pipelines, time-charters.
What we need from you
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-me basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum two (2) or more years of experience within a trading and risk management organization, including a strong understanding of commodity trading, operations, risk, compliance and mid/back-office business processes, policies, procedures, and controls.
- Knowledgeable and has an experience in finance
- An understanding of the fundamental economics and pricing mechanisms behind the physical assets and flows of commodities, and the trading strategies that relate to them.
- Understanding of financial, commodity and energy markets, derivative instruments, and hedging techniques. Knowledge of options theory, risk of options, and trading strategies.
- Intermediate to Advanced Excel skills, such as pivot tables, lookups, VBA macros.
- Experience with working in ETRM systems such as Endur, Right Angle, Openlink etc.
- Experience with Visual reporting tools such as PowerBI, Qlikview and Spotfire.
- Good judgement to provide advice, question discrepancies, escalate issues.
- Continuous improvement mindset: utilizing tools to streamline and automate work to boost efficiency.