About the Opportunity
Quantitative Supervision and Research / Risk and Surveillance Unit (QSR/R&S) within the Supervision, Regulation, and Credit Department of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond has immediate openings for Quantitative Analysts. QSR/R&S is responsible for using quantitative analysis and research in support of banking supervision across the 5th District and the Federal Reserve System.
We’re looking for a candidate to join a collaborative team consisting of financial economists and quantitative analysts. The successful candidate will be responsible for wrangling, analyzing, visualizing, and modeling banking and supervisory data. The candidate will also support the examination process, outreach efforts, and ad hoc data analysis needs. Salary and benefits are competitive and hybrid work arrangements are available.
With your application, please submit a resume, and 2 – 3 coding samples. Coding samples are most helpful if they are solo-authored and represent Python, R, SAS, and/or Tableau solutions.
What You Will Do:
- Work on a team of bank examiners, analysts, and risk specialists to conduct analysis on financial and non-financial risks at community, regional, and large institutions
- Write new and edit existing programs to perform data extraction and analysis
- Query internal and external data sources such as call reports and supervisory databases, assemble data, prepare charts and tables, create and maintain spreadsheets
- Program the automation of queries and data processes that support internal and external reporting and risk evaluation tools
- Design and manage large and complex datasets to support ongoing monitoring processes mainly utilizing Python, R, SAS, Excel, Tableau, and a High Performing Cluster Computer Environment. When required, learn additional software packages and database systems
- Determine appropriate metrics to convey trends and risks related to current and emerging supervisory issues; Use statistical analysis as appropriate
- Participate in the SRC Department`s Risk Council program and System Surveillance Community of Practice
- Collect, manipulate, and analyze data from large databases to assist stakeholders with ad-hoc requests
- Perform comprehensive analysis on historical and supervisory data of financial institutions in support of ongoing examinations, initiatives, and projects
- Provide regular briefings of current issues to all levels of management, interact with stakeholders of community and regional, and large banks, other regulatory agencies, and industry
- Demonstrated technical background as evidenced by experience with data, spreadsheet, and programming software Python, R, SAS, Tableau, and MS Excel
- Intellectual curiosity and desire to learn all aspects of bank supervision for on-the-job application
- Customer-focused mindset with critical and creative thinking when developing data solutions
- Ability to evaluate and determine the appropriate course of action for complex issues and analysis; excellent problem-solving skills
- Clear expression of ideas, both verbally and in writing; translate complex ideas in a compelling and accessible manner for a nontechnical audience
- Attention to detail to aid in quality control exercises
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively on a team in a hybrid work environment and collaborate with peers across the system, participating on system workgroups and projects
- Data Visualization: Ability to present complex data for various audiences and uses, including presentations, dashboards, and upon request.
- Data Manipulation: Ability to transform, wrangle, manipulate data from various sources and formats.
- Bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Finance, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or related field is required. Master’s degree preferred.
Discover the Reason Why So Many People Love It Here!
When you join the Richmond Fed, not only will you find a challenging and purposeful career, you’ll also have access to a wide range of benefits and perks that support your health and wealth, including:
- Hybrid work environment
- Great medical benefits
- Pension and 401(k) with employer match
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee resource networks
- Paid volunteer leave
- Flexible work options
- Onsite amenities that make working here fun