Strategic Advisers, LLC is a registered investment advisor and wholly owned subsidiary of FMR LLC that provides investment management services to clients through Fidelity’s retail and institutional distribution channels. For more than 25 years Strategic Advisers has specialized in the design, construction, and management of asset allocation solutions, as well as the methodologies for many of Fidelity’s investment planning tools, to help investors reach their financial goals. With close to $700 billion in assets under management in a blend of Fidelity and third-party investment vehicles, the Strategic Advisers team of investment professionals’ constructs and manages asset allocation portfolios for more than a million customer accounts.
Strategic Advisers is looking for a Quantitative Portfolio Associate to join our Boston office. The team is responsible for quantitative model portfolio construction and trading for workplace management account and institutional intermediary clients. We employ investment expertise, quantitative techniques, and technology to scale our investment process across a variety of multi-asset class strategies, investing in mutual funds, commingled pools, and ETFs.
The Quantitative Portfolio Associate will be responsible for the implementation of quantitative portfolio management for retirement managed account and non-discretionary model portfolios.
In this role, you will actively contribute to all aspects of the investment process which utilizes a quantitative investment methodology. This will entail working closely with our portfolio management, quantitative research, platform, and technology teams.
- Portfolio Reallocations: Ownership of the day-to-day portfolio management process, which includes collaborating with the Portfolio Managers, identify trading opportunities, configuring our optimization platform inputs for desired trades, constructing model portfolios, evaluating portfolio characteristics, and supervising trading processes.
- Quantitative Analysis: Perform quantitative investment projects in conjunction with the broader investment team aimed at improving the investment methodology and client outcomes.
- Portfolio Oversight: Develop processes to facilitate ongoing oversight across millions of portfolios. Communicate performance, attribution, risk, and rebalance metrics to ensure alignment with the Portfolio Managers investment thesis. Produce and interpret content used in the quarterly CIO portfolio review meetings.
- Investment Architecture: Provide architectural direction and guidance to the technology team as part of the continuing evolution of the model management platform and systematic processes. Provide business context, prototypes, and requirements. Perform end-user acceptance testing.
- Client Relations: Generate hypothetical portfolios and perform ad-hoc analysis for prospective plan sponsors and financial advisors
Education and Experience
- 3+ years of work experience in the investment management industry in a role where quantitative finance and technical skills were required.
- Graduate degree in a related field (Finance, Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science).
Skills and Knowledge
- Deep understanding of quantitative portfolio construction techniques in a multi-asset class context, portfolio optimization and statistics.
- Strong programming and database skills e.g., R, Python, SQL. Familiarity with data visualization tools such as Spotfire or Tableau is a plus.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills. Experience presenting complex concepts and results to large audiences in an intuitive manner.
- Strong analytical and technical mindset; ability to collaborate effectively with technology partners at an intricate level to deliver investment solutions.
- Real passion for financial markets and innovation.
Other Personal Characteristics
- Detail orientated and the ability to work independently on multiple projects without close supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to operate effectively in a team environment.
- Intellectual curiosity, creativity to develop solutions and ability to follow-through solutions to implementation.
- Our company operates with the highest fiduciary standards and expects everyone to conduct themselves with integrity, responsibility, compassion, and expertise.