About the Role
Why Data Science & Analytics?
The Data Science & Analytics organization's mission is to increase our speed,
frequency and acumen of making decisions at scale by instilling a data-
influenced approach to building products. We cover a wide area of the data
spectrum including analytical data engineering, product analytics, causal
inference, economics, statistical modeling and machine learning. Aligned and
partnering with product verticals, we use this extensive toolbelt to discover
new opportunities and unmet use cases, influence and shape the product roadmap
and prioritization, build data products and measure impact on our community of
players and developers.
Roblox is a social platform with billions of friendships. Our company vision
is to connect a billion users with safety and civility. As our Social
Communications team covers all forms of communication, coexperience, and
communication safety, their work is foundational to achieving this vision. As
a Senior Data Scientist within our Communications organization, you'll
leverage statistics, exploratory analysis, modeling, and experiments to
develop and drive the strategic direction of your partner UX, UXR, Product,
and Engineering teams that are missioned to enable safe and civil
communication on our platform.
- Passionate about data. You have the curiosity and self-drive to continuously learn new techniques and tools to extract value from data. You have a degree in Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, or other relevant fields.
- A strong communicator. You understand that analysis must be presented meaningfully and engage in spirited discussions about the findings. You can explain technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Well-verse in experimentation and causal inference. You'll drive rigor in experimentation, and leverage cutting-edge causal inference methods when network effects are at play.
- Experienced in developing models to draw insights from data. You use regression, data mining, and other statistical techniques to create new, scalable solutions to solve challenging business problems. You understand when to apply the appropriate methodology to maximize impact pragmatically.
- A capable statistician. You understand the value of characterizing data by its distribution. Covariance, Bias, and Conditional Probability are concepts that you rely on every day.
- An expert transforming data with SQL and a scripting language such as Python or R. You're experienced in automating efforts and crunching massive volumes of data.
- Develop and drive strategies for improving communication safety Roblox.
- Inform nuanced ML projects focused on reducing toxicity and enabling mod efficiency with offline analysis.
- Drive highly XFN initiatives with product, moderation and infrastructure teams to reduce our cost-to-serve.
- Design and evaluate A/B experiments to determine the success of product feature launches
- Establish foundational reporting; partner with engineers to scale foundational data sets to drive insights
- Build statistical, data mining, and machine learning models
- Accelerate product development by understanding the underlying data and partnering with product and technical leaders to provide insights that inspire innovation and improve the product experience
- Report directly to the Director, Data Science on the User Group team
- 4+ years of industry experience in Data Science and Analytics
- 4+ years of experience using big data query/processing languages such as SQL, PostgreSQL, Hive, or Spark to transform/manipulate extensive datasets
- 4+ years of experience in one or more scripting languages such as Python or R
- 6+ years of industry experience in analytics focused on enhancing products and driving innovation
- BA/BS and/or Advanced degree in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics, or other technical fields
- Experience building a team from scratch as an individual contributor
- Experience working with content platforms, specifically user-generated content
- Ability to use analytics results and data storytelling to influence product teams and leaders